Namaste! Welcome to the Adhikaar community!
Since 2005, Adhikaar has been committed to improving the lives of Nepali-speaking communities and getting our voices heard in the social justice movement. We have assisted thousands of individuals and families; trained hundreds of new leaders; and worked in coalitions to successfully change policies and create new laws at local, state, national, and international levels, including the New York State Domestic Workers Bill of Rights and the International Domestic Workers' Convention. We are currently leading the campaign for creating healthier nail salon industry in New York City and beyond.
Thank you for visiting our website, and thank you for your commitment to justice. Please feel free to drop by our newly renovated Community Center anytime Sunday through Thursday (1pm to 6pm), check out our Youtube channel, "like" our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter.
News & Updates
The New York Healthy Nail Salon Campaign is a new campaign led by Adhikaar and NYCOSH, and supported by other nonprofit organizations, as well as union and university partners and has far reaching impacts in this city. We seek are currently seeking a committed, skilled Campaign Coordinator who will oversee a multi-ethnic campaign to create a healthier nail salon industry and secure workplace rights for nail salon workers.
We seek a professional who can work independently and under pressure, who can be flexible with unpredictability and ambiguity; and also work as a team player in close collaboration with a diverse team of Coalition members.
• Coordinate coalition meetings: send out agendas with relevant materials; facilitate meetings; take minutes & distribute promptly.
• Help maintain and strengthen partnership with coalition members and supporters with guidance from the coalition leadership.
• Maintain campaign calendar; send reminders to coalition members and supporters informing about key events, meetings; maintain a system of data storage and management
• Develop and maintain the internal listserve and the database/spreadsheet of endorsers, supporters, etc.
• Help provide a "big picture" of the campaign, its various moving pieces, and how it relates to the broader strategies landscape facing the movement for healthier nail and beauty salon industries on a national level.
• Regularly support Adhikaar and other campaign partners responsible for worker leadership development, outreach, legislative education, media and fundraising responsibilities; ongoing assessment of work and strategic plans.
• Help maintain and develop relationships with endorsing organizations of the Campaign; help conduct outreach to new potential allies.
• Coordinate and participate in the meetings with legislators; attend other major community events that will help advance the movement.
Training & Leadership Development
• Coordinate OSHA's health and safety trainings for members and other workers
• Coordinate and develop leadership development opportunities for members
• Maintain a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc
• Develop and disseminate publicity materials to reach different stakeholders - workers, customers, supporters.
• Responsible for the tracking and writing of all nail salon campaign related grants and reports
• Other projects as determined by the needs of the Coalition.
• Demonstrated commitment to Adhikaar's mission and vision;
• Excellent demonstrated organizing skills;
• Several years of experience working with non-profit coalitions;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Proficiency in database management, preferably experience in Salesforce;
• Competence in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, as well as social media;
• Preferred bilingual in Nepali and English. Tibetan, Korean, and/or Spanish language skills a plus.
How to apply Email resume, salary requirements, and cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Nail Salon Campaign Coordinator" in the subject line.
Attn: Nail Salon Campaign Coordinator
71-07 Woodside Avenue
Woodside, NY 11377
Adhikaar is one of the anchor organizations of the National Domestic Workers Alliance's Beyond Survival Campaign. The campaign seeks to support survivors of labor trafficking to become agents of change, bring their stories and voices into the main arenas of the trafficking debate that have historically been devoid of any discussion of workers' rights, and develop a vision for transformative change.
Join us for our annual Spring for Justice fundraiser reception. Celebrate with Nepali food, drinks, music, story sharing, and silent auction. Buy your tickets today.
Hollis Pfitsch, Staff Attorney, The Legal Aid Society
Renu Sharma Sapkota & Dhani Ram Sapkota, Community Leaders
Host Committee (as of May 5, 2014):
Abha Shakya, Ai-jen Poo, Anthony Tassi, Anuj Tiku, Arjun Gurung, Ashok Gurung, Brittin Alfred, Brooke Beardslee, Carinne Luck, Chaumtoli Huq, Councilmember Daniel Dromm, Gene Carroll, Harvey Epstein, Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer, Nancy MacPherson, Premilla Nadasen, Rashik Adhikari, Rinchen Sherpa, Sameer Maskey, Sanjeev Sherchan, Shikshya Khatiwada, Shirley Lin, Steve Flax, Suniti Thapa, Yangchen Chadotsang, Yanki Tshering
Adhikaar Team - Board, Staff, Steering Committee:
Azadeh Khalili, Bharati Rai, Brinda Rai, Chandra Malla, Devi Karki, Kushma Thapa, Lakpa Sherpa, Luna Ranjit, Mamta Gurung, Namrata Pradhan, Narbada Chhetri, Pradeep Ghale, Punam Rana Magar, Raji Pokhrel, Ram Gurung, Sandhya Gurung Pradhan, Suhana Gurung, Susan Hangen, Upasana Mainali, Urvashi Kaul, Yangchen Dolma
Check out the pictures from last year's event by our volunteer photographer, Sonam Ukyab: http://www.flickr.com/
Flushing Meadows Corona Park (near Queens Museum)
Queens, NY 11368
Direction: Take 7 to Mets-Willets Point